- Determine the purpose and structure of the process analysis essay.
- Understand how to write a process analysis essay.
The Purpose of Process Analysis in Writing
The purpose of a process analysis essay is to explain how to do something or how something works. In either case, the formula for a process analysis essay remains the same. The process is articulated into clear, definitive steps.
Almost everything we do involves following a step-by-step process. From riding a bike as children to learning various jobs as adults, we initially needed instructions to effectively execute the task. Likewise, we have likely had to instruct others, so we know how important good directions are—and how frustrating it is when they are poorly put together.
Writing at Work
The next time you have to explain a process to someone at work, be mindful of how clearly you articulate each step. Strong communication skills are critical for workplace satisfaction and advancement. Effective process analysis plays a critical role in developing that skill set.
On a separate sheet of paper, make a bulleted list of all the steps that you feel would be required to clearly illustrate three of the following four processes:
- Tying a shoelace
- Parallel parking
- Planning a successful first date
- Being an effective communicator
The Structure of a Process Analysis Essay
The process analysis essay opens with a discussion of the process and a thesis statement that states the goal of the process.
The organization of a process analysis essay typically follows chronological order. The steps of the process are conveyed in the order in which they usually occur. Body paragraphs will be constructed based on these steps. If a particular step is complicated and needs a lot of explaining, then it will likely take up a paragraph on its own. But if a series of simple steps is easier to understand, then the steps can be grouped into a single paragraph.
The time transition phrases covered in the Narration and Illustration sections are also helpful in organizing process analysis essays (see Table 10.1 “Transition Words and Phrases for Expressing Time” and Table 10.2 “Phrases of Illustration”). Words such as first, second, third, next, and finally are helpful cues to orient reader and organize the content of essay.
Always have someone else read your process analysis to make sure it makes sense. Once we get too close to a subject, it is difficult to determine how clearly an idea is coming across. Having a friend or coworker read it over will serve as a good way to troubleshoot any confusing spots.
Choose two of the lists you created in Note 10.52 “Exercise 1” and start writing out the processes in paragraph form. Try to construct paragraphs based on the complexity of each step. For complicated steps, dedicate an entire paragraph. If less complicated steps fall in succession, group them into a single paragraph.
Writing a Process Analysis Essay
Choose a topic that is interesting, is relatively complex, and can be explained in a series of steps. As with other rhetorical writing modes, choose a process that you know well so that you can more easily describe the finer details about each step in the process. Your thesis statement should come at the end of your introduction, and it should state the final outcome of the process you are describing.
Body paragraphs are composed of the steps in the process. Each step should be expressed using strong details and clear examples. Use time transition phrases to help organize steps in the process and to orient readers. The conclusion should thoroughly describe the result of the process described in the body paragraphs. See Chapter 15 “Readings: Examples of Essays” to read an example of a process analysis essay.
Choose one of the expanded lists from Note 10.54 “Exercise 2”. Construct a full process analysis essay from the work you have already done. That means adding an engaging introduction, a clear thesis, time transition phrases, body paragraphs, and a solid conclusion.
- A process analysis essay explains how to do something, how something works, or both.
- The process analysis essay opens with a discussion of the process and a thesis statement that states the outcome of the process.
- The organization of a process analysis essay typically follows a chronological sequence.
- Time transition phrases are particularly helpful in process analysis essays to organize steps and orient reader.
This is a derivative of Writing for Success by a publisher who has requested that they and the original author not receive attribution, originally released and is used under CC BY-NC-SA. This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Students often are afraid of complicated names of essay types. If you are wondering how to write a process analysis essay, this article is for you.
It is just a “How to” article in most parts. There is nothing you can’t do. Let’s start with the definition. What is a process analysis essay?
ORDER A PERFECT PROCESS ANALYSIS ESSAY
What is a Process Analysis Essay: Definition
So, what is a process analysis essay? It is a part of the bigger section called an expository essay. The main goal of this paper is to show, explain, and describe some particular action or process. Sounds logical, yes? It is very easy to understand if you will imagine a recipe. Those are classic and simple process analysis essay examples.
You need to sequence all steps and stages into a logical and clear list. This paper just explains how something is done. You can even write a process analysis essay about how to write a process analysis paragraph. There are also lots of other interesting, and even funny process analysis essay topics students love to use. Let’s check some of them below.
Process Analysis Essay Topics
Imagine you need to explain something to a person who had never done it before. What would it be?
- How to pray
- How to cook pasta
- How to treat cold
- How to prevent pregnancy
- How to win a lottery
- How to lose weight
- How to find a friend
- How to charge batteries
- How to get rid of cockroaches
- How to succeed in college
Process Analysis Essay Examples
Process Analysis Essay Writing Stages
The structure for this type of essay can be similar to a typical five-paragraph paper with few little differences due to the topic.
- Everything starts with the Introduction. This part should explain the process you are going to describe and analyze. Tell the reader why this actual process is important and significant. Try to avoid any insignificant details and useless information. There is no need to describe any backgrounds, tell stories or describe the history of your topic. If it is a recipe of pasta bolognese, just inform your reader about the usage of tomatoes without telling their biological features. Try to be focused and direct.
- This paragraph is not always necessary for this type of papers. If you are describing a recipe or how to fix a broken bike, you will need to create a list of equipment or ingredients. Please note, that if some of those materials are rare or can’t be simply purchased locally, you need to inform your reader about that. Also, consider writing where your reader can find this very ingredient. Don’t forget to tell about any risks or side effects. Everything that might go wrong should be described and identified to warn the reader before he decides to repeat any of your actions.
- In this part, you need to outline the entire process. Consider a sequential order to do that. Every step of the process should be described clearly. This will give you an opportunity to avoid any risks and complains in the future. There should be no confusions and misunderstanding. Any step that is complex you need to create subdivisions. Do it carefully. The more subdivided steps you have, the bigger risk for the reader to get confused. And don’t forget to limit the use of transitional words.
Process Analysis Essay Structure
Start with your own outline and list all the steps of the process you are describing. There is no particular order or rules on how to write a process analysis essay outline. Just use your brain and list all the stages and notes to them at one place.
Like any other academic paper, the process analysis essay structure has three main parts: Introduction, Body, and Conclusion. But the Body has a major difference in comparison to other academic papers.
In Body paragraphs, you will have to describe the process as it is. There is no need to get any arguments or supporting facts. Just describe the process and its stages as they should be done properly. If it is a process description, you need to describe. If it is a comparison, you need to compare. You may describe your feelings and impressions in the Conclusion part.
How to start a process analysis essay: Introduction
- Present your main topic and in few words tell what the process is achieving.
- Tell why this process is useful and worth of learning.
- Describe what outcome the reader can get after the process is done correctly.
How to write a process analysis paragraph of Main Body
- Present the entire process in paragraphs.
- Use a separate paragraph for each step of the process.
- Use proper and slight transitions between blocks and paragraphs.
- The entire presentation should be written descriptively.
- Summarize the entire process in the Conclusion.
- Do not repeat all the steps or list any ingredients.
- Identify the main stages and make few notes where needed.
- Describe the proper and correct result.
GET A TOP-CLASS PROCESS ANALYSIS ESSAY
Advice from Our Professional Team On How to Write a Process Analysis Essay
Any type of expository paper has a specific tone and manner. It is not a simple instruction. It is called an essay for a reason. Be always careful with your tone. Try to sound neutral like instructor or expert. This type of paper is common for various subjects. You may meet it in English, History, and Biology.
If the topic is free, that means you have a privilege. It is always easier to write about something that is familiar to you. If your tutor assigned you with a topic, it is a nice chance to learn something new. If you have any problems and still haven’t learned how to write a process analysis essay, our team of writing experts is always ready to help. Contact us to get professional help.