- Do a thorough job annotating to make your outlining and paper-writing easier in the end. Make marks on anything that you think might be remotely important or that could be put to use in your paper.
- As you mark off important pieces in the research, add your own commentary and notes explaining to yourself where you might use it in your paper. Writing down your ideas as you have them will make writing your paper much easier and give you something to refer back to.
- Try writing each quote or item that you marked onto an individual note card. That way, you can rearrange and lay out your cards however you would like.
- Color code your notes to make it easier. Write down a list of all the notes you are using from each individual resource, and then highlight each category of information in a different color. For example, write everything from a particular book or journal on a single sheet of paper in order to consolidate the notes, and then everything that is related to characters highlight in green, everything related to the plot mark in orange, et cetera.
Construct a preliminary bibliography/references page. As you go through your notes, mark down the author, page number, title, and publishing information for each resource. This will come in handy when you craft your bibliography or works cited page later in the game.
- An argumentative research paper takes a position on a contentious issue and argues for one point of view. The issue should be debatable with a logical counter argument.
- An analytic research paper offers a fresh look at an important issue. The subject may not be controversial, but you must attempt to persuade your audience that your ideas have merit. This is not simply a regurgitation of ideas from your research, but an offering of your own unique ideas based on what you have learned through research.
Determine your audience. Who would be reading this paper, should it be published? Although you want to write for your professor or other superior, it is important that the tone and focus of your paper reflect the audience who will be reading it. If you’re writing for academic peers, then the information you include should reflect the information you already know; you don’t need to explain basic ideas or theories. On the other hand, if you are writing for an audience who doesn’t know much about your subject, it will be important to include explanations and examples of more fundamental ideas and theories related to your research.
- An easy way to develop your thesis is to make it into a question that your essay will answer. What is the primary question or hypothesis that you are going to go about proving in your paper? For example, your thesis question might be “how does cultural acceptance change the success of treatment for mental illness?” This can then determine what your thesis is - whatever your answer to the question is, is your thesis statement.
- Your thesis should express the main idea of your paper without listing all of your reasons or outline your entire paper. It should be a simple statement, rather than a list of support; that’s what the rest of your paper is for!
- When you outline your main ideas, putting them in a specific order is important. Place your strongest points at the beginning and end of your essay, with more mediocre points placed in the middle or near the end of your essay.
- A single main point doesn’t have to be kept to a single paragraph, especially if you are writing a relatively long research paper. Main ideas can be spread out over as many paragraphs as you deem necessary.
Consider formatting guidelines. Depending on your paper rubric, class guidelines, or formatting guidelines, you may have to organize your paper in a specific way. For example, when writing in APA format you must organize your paper by headings including the introduction, methods, results, and discussion. These guidelines will alter the way you craft your outline and final paper.
Finalize your outline. With the aforementioned tips taken into consideration, organize your entire outline. Justify main points to the left, and indent subsections and notes from your research below each. The outline should be an overview of your entire paper in bullet points. Make sure to include in-text citations at the end of each point, so that you don’t have to constantly refer back to your research when writing your final paper.
Example Academic Essays and Research Papers
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) - Medication Treatment of Children
Litarature Essay: Jim and Laura and Symbols in the Glass Menagerie
Molecular Testing and Clinical Study
Pantisocracy and Radical British Society in the 1790s
Sex Education and Culture of Violence Against Women
Divorce Aspects and Decisions - Research Paper
Internet Security and Web Technology
The US Immigration and Homeland Security Research Paper
Resolving Unemployment Crisis and Bad Economy in the US through Public Administration Policies
State Farm - HRM and Business Strategy Paper
Education Development Program for NJNSA Application
Research into the Childhood Code Violation
CCTV and Shoplifting - Research Methods Paper
Traditional Hindu Family Research Paper
Digital Security, IP Protocols, Cloud Storage
Patients and Medical Technology Research
Research on the Family Festival Paper in the Fall
Example Nursing Paper on Managing Multiple Patients
Domestic Assault and Theory of Arrests - Research Article Review
Research Study on Philosophical and Humane Implications of Consciousness and fMRI
How to Research and Investigate an Issue (Unemployment Rate)
Research Study and Statistics on Student Bullying
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) - Research on Impact of Costs
Research Paper on Mayer Rokitansky Kuster Hauser Syndrome – Developmental Aspects and Psychological Effects
Simplex Method and Equine Nutrient Research in the US
Cleveland Clinic Foundation - Sample Paper
Kill Bill and Ultra Violence Essay
Foster Care and Adoption Federal Services: The Best Practices
Effect on Coach Education Program on Motivation of Student Athlets
Peak Oil - Global Production and Energy Consumption
Example Case Study SIM335 - Business and Management
Nazis, Jews, Germans, Poles, Ukrainians - Example Paper on Holocaust
Research on Women and the Start of Feminist Movement during the French Revolution
Most Students Hate Doing Homework - The Reasons and Solutions
Environmental, Energy, Air Quality, and Ecological Effects of Hurricane Katrina
Sustainable Life and Green Energy at College and University Campuses
Lab Report on the Effect of the Red Color on Attractiveness
Research on the Efficiency of Renewable Energy Sources Available Today
Research Outline: Emergency Response Plan
Is Getting a College Degree Worth It?
Cancer - sample research paper
Research on Sensory Modality in Hearing
Research on My Life as a Substance Abuse Counselor [pdf]
Introductory CAD courses and Student Grades
'A Rhetoric of Motives' / 'Rhetoric in Civic Life' - Reading Responses
Chronic Pain Analysis and Research Answers
Freelance Editor - Sample Application Letter
World Energy and Nuclear Power Plants - Research
Deviant Behavior of Sociopaths and Mental People - Research
Consumer Spending and the Use of Marketing in Corporate America
Medical Marijuana - Pros, Cons, and Letter
Motivational Interviewing (Research Paper)
The Career of a Writer - Job Description and Prospects
Essay Writer - Sample Employment Letter
Research on Public Schools and Voucher Decision
Matching Paulo Freire's Ideas and U.S. Public School Curricula?
Charter School, Academic Accountability, and Measurement of Student Academic Performance
Student Cheating and Academic Dishonesty - Causes and Solutions
Female Gender Issues: The Sex Test (research essay)
Research - Males in the Nursing Profession
Research - Greece Tourism and Prospects
Research on Children Learning in Bilingual Kindergartens in Germany
Research - About Racism Towards Chinese People
How Model Writing Services Can Help Students?
What Students Should Expect from an Ideal Essay Writing Company?
Working from Home as a Freelance Essay Writer (Pros / Cons)
How to Prevent Students from Plagiarising Their Essays?
Negotiation in the News: The U.S. Debt Crisis
Reflective Essay Communication
Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison
Ecommerce Model, Strategies, Success
The Ancient World (a custom-written book review)
How Mass Media Influences Pop Culture in America?
Essay About Myself and My Academic Achievements
Affordable Housing and Public-Private Partnerships: Effective or Damaging to Low-Income Housing Management?
Education Task Groups
Activity Based Costing and Budget Research
JIT (just-in-time) Inventory Management - Executive Summary Example
Feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you want to contribute to this web site by writing educational articles.